We think of our pools primarily as a great source of fun and relaxation, but pools have more to offer us than that. A pool in the backyard can also double as your very own gym – all you need is some good swimming workouts! Exercising in the pool achieves all the same outcomes as a workout on land – burning fat, building and toning muscles – but is far easier on your joints.
With millions of NSW residents riding out the next month in lockdown, we’re sharing these four swimming workouts you can do to keep fit from the comfort of your pool. Bring on summer!
Our 4 favourite swimming workouts
Pool noodle exercises
These exercises are great for toning and strengthening your core and shoulders. Repeat them about 20 times each or until you’re fatigued.
- Rows: Place the pool noodle on the surface of the water in front of you, with the middle in front of your chest. With your hands outstretched diagonally, push down on the noodle until it reaches your feet, then with control, raise it back up slowly.
- Crunches: Wrap the noodle backwards around your torso and hold it under your armpits. Keeping your legs straight, raise them up to your chest.
Weighted ball exercises
Add a weighted ball to your swimming workouts to improve balance, muscle tone and core strength.
- Weighted ball balances: Hold the ball in front of you with an outstretched arm at chest level and lift up one leg. Balance in this position for 30 seconds then swap to the other leg and arm.
- Ball circles: Hold the ball in both hands in front of you. Without moving your torso, pass the ball behind you into your other hand then bring it back around to the front again. Repeat 20 times or until fatigued.
Body-only pool exercises
You don’t need anything but your body for these exercises. Whether it’s cardio or strengthening and toning work you want to do, there are plenty of exercises to add to your swimming workouts!
- Water jogging: This one’s as simple as they get! Raise your heart rate and burn fat by incorporating 30-second intervals of fast jogging on the spot in the pool. Turn this simple exercise into a HIIT workout by alternating it with 30 seconds of walking forward three steps and back three steps.
- Arm circles: Stretch your arms straight out to your sides. As though drawing with your fingers, draw small circles with each hand while keeping your arms straight, moving clockwises from the shoulder joint. After 30 seconds, repeat in the anti-clockwise direction.
So, what are you waiting for? Incorporate swimming workouts into your routine to boost your fitness during spring for a summer of fun, sunshine and freedom!
If your pool needs some love after a long winter, we can get it back to its sparkling-clean best in no time. Get in touch on our website or call 0408 118 727 to arrange pool maintenance services.